Friday, April 1, 2011

April Snow Brings: Autism Awareness

'Tis the Month to Be Aware
I am SO excited about today. Not only is it a snow day, but it is also April. April is Autism Awareness month. As a special educator, I try to educate staff and students about how to be a good friend to someone with Autism. Of course, this is a daily goal, but this month gives us a great excuse to get into classrooms. Due to the busyness of the year, we are going to have to hustle and bustle to put something enriching together this year.


The Love
I have worked with children with Autism for the past 6 years. These children have brought such joy into my life. Each day,there is always SO MUCH laughter and an abundance of smiles. The perseveration, random words, conversations and hugs make my heart burst with love and overcome any frustrations I may be feeling. As a K-4 teacher, I have the pleasure to have some of these children for 5 years. It offers opportunity for close relationships and our classroom often feels like a big family. I wish I could share all the stories, but there is this little thing called "confidentiality".

*Pretend there is a picture of all my students here*

Local Events
There are many local events this month in which you can become involved actively or as a spectator, including a Portland Pirates game and a Sea Dogs game.

Necklace
This is the first piece of jewelry I've made in support of Autism Awareness. I'm so pumped about it. A cluster containing a freshwater coin pearl, turquoise, "lentil" glass, and Swarovski hangs from a 40" antique brass chain. My favorite part of the necklace is the handcrafted and hammered 14K gold filled autism ribbon, hanging a bit above the cluster. Unique.


For more information about Autism visit http://www.autism-society.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment